Beagle Point (DSSA Distant Worlds 'Endeavour') [#81973396946]
Beagle Point marks the end point of a galaxy-spanning expedition undertaken by Commander Erimus Kamzel in 3301. At the time, the system was known as Ceeckia ZQ-L c24-0, but Kamzel nicknamed it Beagle Point after his beloved beagle Jack, who had passed away a short time before. One year later, the system was chosen as the final destination of the first Distant Worlds expedition, resulting in an influx of over 500 pilots in April 3302. In recognition of these events, Universal Cartographics officially renamed the system Beagle Point on the 26th of May 3302.
This system is located at:
R: 65,279.352 / l: 0.976 / b: -0.118
Right ascension: 17h 48m 22.957s / Declination: -28° 9'46.890''
Metal-rich body (2 to 10 ls), Earth-like world (163 to 244 ls), Water world (133 to 516 ls), Ammonia world (337 to 918 ls), Terraformable (127 to 253 ls)
This system was visited for the first time on EDSM by Erimus Kamzel.
6957 ships passed through Beagle Point space, including 10 ships in the last 7 days.
1 ship passed through Beagle Point space in the last 24 hours.
Anaconda - 1
"I know a land beyond the heart of time. The sun never comes here. No moon ever shines. And man, a grain of sand, nameless and lost, blows with the dust." - an ode to Beagle Point, 18th January 3301.
Beagle Point; original gal-map designation - Ceeckia ZQ-L c24-0
At 65,279 LYs from Sol, Beagle Point was one of the most distant star systems a commander could reach prior to the Jumponium and Engineering eras.
During the very early days of deep space exploration, this star system marked the end of the line for CMDR Erimus Kamzel's Distant Suns expedition (Dec. 3300 - Jan. 3301), which was the first ever successful crossing of the Milky Way galaxy.
Unofficially nick-named 'Beagle Point' at the time after Kamzel's intrepid starship that first discovered it (DSS Beagle), the system has subsequently become a point of interest that has been visited by many explorers conducting their own survey missions of the galactic outer rim regions.
- Link : Archives - 65,000 LYs from home
- Link : GalNet (Frontier Developments)
- Link : GalNet (YouTube)
- The 65000 LY from Sol Club
Beagle Point and the Distant Worlds Expeditions:
One year after the Distant Suns expedition, the Beagle Point star system was chosen by Kamzel as the final basecamp for the Distant Worlds 3302 Expedition that he instigated and helped organize.
The Distant Worlds fleet, originally 1,300 strong, were tasked to retrace the DSS Beagle's route and map out the first galactic highway from the frontier system of Pallaeni to the far outer galactic rim; a 81,500 LY route that passes through the Norma Expanse, across the galactic core, into the Aphelion regions, through the Abyss and the Solitude Void, and finally to the Ceeckia sector in which Beagle Point is situated. This saw the arrival of over 500 pilots to the system during early April 3302.
In recognition of the star systems historic importance, Ceeckia ZQ-L c24-0 was officially designated "Beagle Point" by Universal Cartographics (Frontier Developments) on May 26th 3302.
In January 3305, 13,615 commanders set off from the bubble on the Distant Worlds 2 Expedition. The DW2 starfleet, by far the largest ever assembled, was tasked to build the Explorer's Anchorage starport near Sgr-A*, then travel across the Aphelion regions to Beagle Point. 3,748 commanders completed the journey, which culminated at Beagle Point during April and May 3305.
Why Beagle Point?
Beagle Point was the furthest system an explorer could reach during the early days of galactic-wide exploration - a period when automatic route-plotters, engineering upgrades, and Jumponium fuel did not exist.
Jump ranges of 35 - 40 LYs were considered 'extreme range' for ships of that era. In addition, to make headway through the galaxy explorers had to plot each jump manually, one system at a time (today's route plotter did not exist back then, it was first introduced in late January 3301, but became inoperable when reaching the galactic core regions due to bugs).
Those early deep space journeys were not only a test of ones endurance and tenacity, but also navigational perseverance, especially when attempting to cross places like the outer arm Abyss, where star density was so low that commanders had to chart routes across it, one star at a time, and often having to back track if they hit dead ends, then attempt another crossing elsewhere.
The introduction of the 1,000 LY route plotter (later increased to 10,000 LYs), along with Jumponium fuel and engineering upgrades in the years that followed the Distant Suns expedition allowed commanders to cross the galaxy with relative ease, as well as push the boundaries a little further.
As a consequence, Beagle Point's significance and historical background for being the furthest reachable star system no longer applied and it instead became more noted for its historical context as being the final system reached during the first ever Galactic crossing. Its historical significance was also enhanced when it was chosen as the final waypoint of the two sequels to the Distant Suns expedition, those being Distant Worlds 3302 (DW1), and Distant Worlds 3305 (DW2).
The DSS Beagle that left Pallaeni on December 16th 3300 on its journey to the far galactic rim was a stock Asp Explorer (pre-engineering era):
- 3D Power Plant
- 4D Thrusters
- 5A FSD
- 4D Life Support
- 3D Power Distributor
- 5D Sensors
- 5C Fuel Tank
- 6C Fuel Scoop
- 3D Shields
- 3A AFMU x 2 (offline)
- 3E Cargo Rack
- 1C ADS
- 1C DSS
Approx. jump range 34.5 LYs
OOC clarification on the naming of Beagle Point:
The DSS Beagle was named in honour of Kamzel's pet Beagle (Jack), who passed away just prior to the Distant Suns Expedition.
Please note that the Beagle Point tourist beacon has nothing to do with how the system got its name or its historical background. The beacon was added much later and is a reference to another commanders dog that passed away (a Beagle called Zylo). Frontier were kind enough to put a beacon there as a memorial.
The background to Beagle Point's naming from the historical context can be found in the systems description, not the tourist beacon.
For Beagle Point - Deep Space Outpost deployment, click here.
Beagle Point Depot
Beagle Point is in itself a system containing all jumponium materials (a "green" system):
- 2 (HMC) (211ls) (0.17g) - Yttrium, Vanadium, Arsenic
- 3 (HMC) (281ls) (0.22g) - Cadmium, Niobium
- 6 (Icy) (537ls) (0.17g) - Cadmium, Niobium, Germanium
- 7 (Icy) (686ls) (0.20g) - Polonium, Cadmium, Vanadium
- 8 (Icy) (684ls) (0.18g) - Niobium, Germanium
Other "green" systems in the vicinity:
CEECKIA AI-I C26-0
- A1 (HMC) (131ls) (1.00g) - Yttrium, Niobium
- A2 (HMC) (165ls) (0.11g) - Polonium, Niobium, Vanadium
- A3 (HMC) (236ls) (0.11g) - Polonium, Cadmium, Germanium
- A4 (HMC) (562ls) (0.13g) - Germanium, Arsenic
- B1 (HMC) (7583ls) (0.08g) - Cadmium, Germanium
- B2 (HMC) (7759ls) (0.10g) - Yttrium, Niobium
- B3 (HMC) (7293ls) (0.12g) - Niobium, Germanium, Vanadium
- B4 (HMC) (7293ls) (0.11g) - Yttrium, Vanadium
- B5 (Icy) (7915ls) (0.13g) - Polonium, Cadmium, Vanadium
- B5A (Icy) (7915ls) (0.04g) - Cadmium, Niobium, Germanium, Vanadium
- B6 (Icy) (7810ls) (0.09g) - Niobium, Germanium
- Carrier Name: DSSA Distant Worlds ‘Endeavour'
- Registration: X2J-19Z
- Carrier Class: Nautilus Class
Registered Owner: CMDR Erimus Kamzel
- Designated Region: The Abyss
System: Beagle Point
- Commission Date (date signed up to the DSSA): April 4th 3306
- Carrier Construction Date: June 9th 3306
- Construction Location: Kuo Terminal, Skeggiko O
- Maiden Jump(s): BD-22 3573 for fueling (June 9th 3306). Antares for maiden voyage (June 9th 3306)
In-service Date (date the vessel began its DSSA service): June 21st 3306
- Services Available: Repair, Refuel, Armory, Shipyard, Outfitting, Universal Cartographics, Secure Warehouse, Redemption Office, Vista Genomics, Pioneer Supplies, Bartender.
- Tariff % Set: 5%
- Commodities Bought: Tritium at 100,000 CR/T
- Commodities Sold (periodically): None at present
- Nearest Tritium Hotspot: Iorant XW-J c22-0 7
Endeavour travelled with the Aphelion Fleet in June 3306, and reached Beagle Point on June 18th 3306 with a synchronised jump-in with the support vessel, Zero Dawn. Three days later they were joined by the Aphelion support vessel Mercy of Angel.
At least two carriers from Colonia arrived several days earlier, however the DSSA carriers arrival in the system is thought to be the first recorded galactic crossing by Carriers launched from the bubble, to Beagle Point, covering in access of 73,000 LYs in the process. During the journey, the Aphelion fleet stopped at the Explorer's Anchorage where large-scale mining ops were undertaken - with around 50,000T of Tritium extracted to fuel* the Carriers for the rest of their journeys. Additional mining ops took place at Luna's Shadow, which added a further 5,000T of fuel needed to see the Distant Worlds, Tartarus, and Zero Dawn reach their destinations deep into the Abyss.
DSSA Distant Worlds visited Salome's Reach on June 20th 3306, before jumping back to Beagle Point to begin its permanent DSSA deployment.
DSSA Distant Worlds was one of 11 Carriers on the Aphelion Expedition. The others being;
- DSSA Sleeper Service - assigned to the Galactic Core
- DSSA Stellar Oasis - assigned to Mare Somnia
- DSSA Callisto - assigned to Arcadian Stream
- DSSA Tartarus - assigned to the Abyss
- DSSA King's Pass - assigned to the Norma Expanse
- DSSA Sésame - assigned to the Norma Expanse
- DSSA Aristarchos - assigned to Xibalba
- Colonia Carrier ‘Challenger’ - Support vessel
- Mercy of Angel - Support vessel
- Zero Dawn - Support vessel
The Aphelion fleet flight log: Link
As well as being part of the DSSA network, Endeavour's place at Beagle Point stands as a permanent monument dedicated to all deep space explorers who have visited the outer rim, past, present, and future.
[*In August 3306, Tritium fuel efficiency was increased twofold. This enabled Carriers to stock up with station-bought fuel in the bubble, and cross the entire galaxy without the need to refuel via mining along the way. Thus, the Aphelion Expedition was the last journey of its kind, and a remarkable feat given the logistical support it required to get the fleet out to the far galactic reaches during a time when fuel efficiency was half that of todays standards.]
DSSA Distant Worlds en-route to Beagle Point. Astrophotography by CMDR JohnyStarwalker (Update 23-March-3308 : The DSSA carrier at Beagle Point now has the Ice White colour scheme.)
A short video montage of the deployment, journey, and arrival: Link
At the successful deployment of the DSSA Distant Worlds, the two support vessels, Zero Dawn and Mercy of Angel, returned to Colonia, and the bubble respectfully.
Tritium mining near Beagle Point
The closest Tri2 hotspot to Beagle Point is at Iorant XW-J c22-0 (Planet 7).
A T9 Miner/Hauler with 512T of mined Tritium aboard, with approx 20LY range, can reach Beagle Point from the mining site using the following Jumponium-assisted route;
You will need;
- 7 x J3 Injections
- 3 x J2 Injections
1 x J1 Injection
- IORANT XW-J c22-0 (Planet 7 Mining Site)
- J2 28.24 LY jump to IORANT AW-E D11-1
- J3 33.80 LY jump to IORANT EY-H C23-0
- J3 40.15 LY jump to IORANT DY-H C23-0
- J2 28.46 LY jump to CEECKIA MP-B B47-0
- J3 38.14 LY jump to CEECKIA KP-B B47-0
- J3 31.41 LY jump to CEECKIA FJ-D B46-0
- J1 23.01 LY jump to CEECKIA QJ-P C22-0
- J3 31.76 LY jump to CEECKIA UP-N C23-0
- J3 39.63 LY jump to CEECKIA WK-N C23-0
- J3 33.40 jump to CEECKIA WM-H D11-1
- J2 27.16 jump to BEAGLE POINT
Route for commanders loading up with limpets from the DSSA Distant Worlds and heading to the mining site;
- BEAGLE POINT
- J2 27.16 LY jump to CEECKIA WM-H D11-1
- J3 33.40 LY jump to CEECKIA WK-N C23-0
- J3 39.63 LY jump to CEECKIA UP-N C23-0
- J3 31.76 LY jump to CEECKIA QJ-P C22-0
- J1 23.01 LY jump to CEECKIA FJ-D B46-0
- J1 31.41 LY jump to CEECKIA KP-B B47-0
- J3 38.14 LY jump to CEECKIA MP-B B47-0
- J2 28.46 LY jump to IORANT DY-H C23-0
- J3 40.15 LY jump to IORANT EY-H C23-0
- J3 33.80 LY jump to IORANT AW-E D11-1
- J2 28.24 LY jump to IORANT XW-J c22-0 (Planet 7 Mining Site)
For Beagle Point - historical reference, click here.